1. Contestants must be of legal age to enter a venue hosting the contest. PARENTAL CONSENT: Must be completed and signed by a parent or legal guardian if the participant is under 18 years of age.
1a. Contest Registration Form MUST be complete (all fields are required)
1b. Contest Registration Form MUST be legible PLEASE PRINT.
1c. Contestant must be a resident of Kern County at time of Contest.
1d. A contestant cannot be an active KJ in the current years’ contest.
2. You must compete at a location on the night of a qualifying contest.
3. The number of contestants at a qualifying round will be determined the night of the contest.
4. The host, agents, and judges reserve the right to declare the maximum amount of contestants and close registration at any reasonable point in the night.
5. Entertainers are encouraged to provide their own music. Music must be on a store bought or legally obtained licensed copy on compact disc (CDG format). Regular CDs with vocal tracks are not acceptable. The best way to ensure it is legal is to have a store-bought disc. If you choose to provide your own music you must provide it to the KJ 1 week prior to your time in the contest so the KJ has a chance to rip it to their hard drive.
6. Advancing contestants must be available for all additional elimination rounds prior to the finals at the fair. All reasonable efforts will be made to accommodate advancing contestant’s schedule, but no guarantees will be made. In the event an advancing contestant cannot make an advancing round, his or her spot will default to the next contestant in the queue.
7. Advancing contestants are encouraged to bring as many, family, friends, and fans to subsequent rounds of the Karaoke Contest.
8. The finals at the fair are a family friendly contest (No foul language or questionable lyrics) if you are not sure please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Karaoke Contest in the Subject and the following information. Your name, phone number, email address, the name of the song, artist, version if other than the original. Songs containing vulgar or explicit lyrics will not be allowed. Contestants who, during their performance, use vulgar lyrics or perform in an obscene manner will be disqualified from the competition
9. This contest is for individuals only (No group or duet songs)
10. Only one entry per person, per location. You may compete at more than one location per night until you win a qualifying round. Once you win a qualifying round you may not compete again until the semi-finals at your location.
11 Leaving the stage area during a performance is not prohibited but contestants should be aware it does make it difficult for the judges, cameras, and audience to follow.
12. Performances at the fair will be limited to five minutes. Choose your song wisely. If it is longer than five, be prepared to give us a big finish at the five-minute mark.
13. Avoid song with big instrumental breaks. We’re not there to hear studio musicians; we’re there to hear from you.
14. If you have a burned CD and it does not play on our pro-gear (which 60% do not) you will have to sing your song, A cappella.
15. When you check in, bring your disc in a protective case with your name on the case and disc. You will be told when to give it to the KJ.
16. We don’t mind if someone else is doing your song. But if we see a duplicate, we will give you the option to change before the show. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO CHANGE!
17. With the exception of CDs or CDG’s. Each contestant shall use only the equipment provided by the DJ running the show. NO outside equipment by the contestant or anyone other than the DJ shall be used.
18. Any contestant that allows others to sing along with him/her by surrendering the microphone shall be disqualified. (This DOES NOT include holding the microphone in the air for the audience or a group in the audience to sing along with the background vocals.) I ) Any contestant guilty of distracting any of the other contestants while they are performing may be disqualified. II ) Any contestant guilty of insulting or starting any confrontation with any of the audience or other contestants may be disqualified. III ) Any contestant found damaging equipment shall be disqualified.
19. Any contestant that faces the dreaded malfunction of the equipment has the option of starting over. Examples: feedback, skipping of a disk, loss of microphone.
I ) This does not include the contestant bumping into the equipment causing a skip or turning off microphone while singing.
II ) If it is judged that the contestant purposely caused a malfunction of the equipment. This is grounds for disqualification.
20. No Cost to Enter
21. The order of performance shall be decided by luck of the draw. Each contestant shall put their name in a hat and each name shall be drawn out by the KJ
22. Rule 22 Omitted
23. Each contestant shall be judged by the following categories.
I) Vocal ability
II) Presentation & Showmanship
III) Audience participation
An exception to rule 23: A club/venue hosting a local contest may at their discretion choose to use the approved audience participation method. Any club/venue using the approved audience method must post rules near the area of competition. The audience participation method is not allowed at a Semi-finals contest.
23a. Judges for location: we understand Bakersfield is a small town and if at all possable The following is a list of people who should not judge the karaoke contest.
I.) Contestants (anyone who has competed at any location for the 2019 season)
II.) Family of a contestant
III.) KJ from another contest location
IV.) Owner or employee from another location
23b. The audience participation method (APM): Explained
If the club/venue does not have enough qualified judges to judge a contest. The club/venue may use the APM alone to judge the contest. This is permitted only in open competition and cannot be used in place of judges in the Semi-finals & the Finals.
24. Costuming is strongly recommended.
25. If you need a reminder, here are a few things to consider; as a rule Love Ballads do not score well in the audience response category. Keep it short and up-tempo so you can get the audience involved. As you know the talent at this level is pretty even. Your stage presence and audience response will be the difference in the scoring
26. Persons who entertain are allowed to compete as long as it is part-time income and that person does not belong to any professional organization connected with the entertainment industry that would cause KWB Entertainment Inc. or any of KWB Entertainment Inc. representative’s to pay such contestant a fee or any other benefit for taking part in any KWB Entertainment Inc. event
27. Any person may enter the contest that belongs to an Organized Labor Union connected with the entertainment industry, as long as that person is not disqualified by rule number 26
28. Contestants MAY NOT utilize live props. This will include back-up singers, dancers or animals. Non-human props such as costumes and other accessories are permitted. Musical instruments may be used as props, but are not allowed as an accompaniment to the contestants’ performance. Such musical instruments must be hand carried. Larger instruments that utilize the aid of others to bring them on stage, or are difficult to handle are NOT be permitted. An example of this type of instrument is a piano, harp, etc… Any prop used by a contestant must be carried on stage or into the stage area by the contestant, and must be completed in one trip onto or into the stage area
29. Contestants will sing one judged song. If at the end of the first judged song there is a tie, the contestants, who are tied for first place only, will sing another judged song. Contestants are not allowed to repeat the song used for the first judged song. Should this method not break the tie, the judges will collaborate between each other and decide a winner
30. Contestants, their family or associates are not allowed to have contact with a contest judge before or during any contest connected with KWB Entertainment Inc. Contact includes verbal conversations and handshakes. It is suggested that Club/Venue provide judge badges to prevent contestants from approaching judges. This rule applies only before and during the time contestants are performing. It is not reasonable to expect contestants; their family or associates from having contact with a judge directly after all contestants have performed. Breaks for judges during a contest shall be considered the same as time during a contestant performance and judges are off limits for conversation or any other contact.
31. Contestants, their family or associates who exhibit offensive behavior during any portion of the contest may disqualify that contestant from further competition. If the contestant, their family or associates exhibit offensive behavior after the contestant has competed, and such behavior is in the host establishment, even after the winners are announced, that contestants score may be nullified. If the contestant whose score has been nullified is a winning contestant, the next contestant in scoring position for that particular category shall be the winner. If there is a tie for the next in line, the winner shall be decided by a toss of a coin.
32. Decisions of the judges are final. No arguing with judges is allowed. Any contestant, their family or associates who argue with a judge may be deemed to be using offensive behavior and the contestant may be disqualified from competition
33. If space is limited new contestants will be taken over people who have already competed.
34. If you are a judge in our karaoke contest during the current season You cannot compete in the contest at any location that is hosting our contest during the current season.
35. Rule 35 Omitted
36. Don’t take someone’s word for it. Understanding all rules are your responsibility alone. If you do not understand any of these rules please contact Kyle Brown 661.633.9200 for expiation.
37. Check often as rules may change, All final decision will be made by Kyle Brown
Please note: All participants agree to the following terms and conditions of participation by initials on the Registration form: I understand and agree to allow my name and/or likeness to be used in contest promotions, including photographs and digital renditions of my performance(s). I understand the risks involved in participation in the KERN COUNTY KARAOKE CONTEST _ event at all locations. I/we, do hereby waive, release and discharge any and all claims for damages for personal injury, death, or property damage which I/we may experience as a result of participation in this activity. This release is intended to discharge in advance this location, Good Time Entertainment, Kern County Fair and KLLY Radio, Groove, alpha media usa; their officers, contractors and/or officials, employees, volunteers and agents, from any and all liability resulting out of or connected in any way with my participation in the above activity; even though that liability may arise out of negligence or carelessness on the part of the persons or entities mentioned above. It is understood that this activity involves an element of risk and danger of accidents; and knowing those risks, I hereby assume those risks. It is further agreed that this waiver, release and assumption of risk is to be binding on my heirs and assigns. I agree to indemnify and to hold the above persons and entities free and harmless from any loss, liability, damage, cost, or expense which they may incur as the result of my death or injury or property damage that I may sustain while participating in said activity. PARENTAL CONSENT: Must be completed and signed by parent or legal guardian if participant is under 18 years of age: I hereby consent that my son / daughter participate in the _ Kern County Karaoke Contest 2014 , and I hereby execute the above Agreement, Waiver, and Release on his/her behalf. I state that said minor is physically able to participate in said activity. I hereby agree to indemnify and hold the persons and entities mentioned above free and harmless from any loss, liability, damage, cost, or expense which may incur as a result of the death or injury or property damage that said minor may sustain while participating in the above activity. I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS AGREEMENT, WAIVER AND RELEASE AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS. I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY AND A CONTRACT BETWEEN MYSELF AND THIS LOCATION SPONSORS GOOD TIME ENTERTAINMENT, KERN COUNTY FAIR, ALPHA MEDIA USA; THEIR OFFICERS, AGENTS, OFFICIALS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS AND CONTRACTORS; AND I ACKNOWLEDGE MY AGREEMENT AS INITIALED ON THIS FORM IS OF MY OWN FREE WILL.